1. General provisions
Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited, trading as Conlons® ("we") operate this site www.conlons.co.uk (the "Site") for visitors ("you") who wish to search and/or purchase products using the Site or find out further information about our business. We respect the personal Privacy of all users of the Site, or on the phone, and all our customers. We therefore take all of our obligations for processing personal information very seriously.
Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited is the data controller in respect of the personal information obtained from you in the course of your use of the site and/or placing an order. We may also use your contact information for marketing or non-marketing purposes in accordance with the provisions contained below. Conlons® are committed to protecting and respecting your Privacy and always seeks to comply with the UK Information Commissioner's Office and the Data Protection Act 1998.
Conlons & Son's (Opticians) Ltd registered office is at 22 Mount Pleasant Liverpool L3 5RY. Our company number is 00531247, VAT Registration Number 319955617, Registered TM: 2489930
2. Supply of personal information & processing
Please do not send us emails or register on the site if you do not want that information to be processed by us in the ways described within the Policy. Therefore, by submitting information to us in these ways, you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your personal data.
Your accessing, viewing, using and submitting any order via the Site constitutes your complete consent to the collection, use and transfer of your personal data, as described in the Policy. If you oppose any part of the Policy, we recommend that you do not use the Site.
Conlons & Sons (Opticians) Limted. is the data controller in respect of the personal information obtained from you in the course of your use of the site and/or placing an order. We may also use your contact information for marketing purposes in accordance with the provisions contained below.
3. Type of data we collect about you
Personal data relating to Internet users viewing and using the Site may be collected on each of the following occurrences:
- data regarding your identity, personal details (e.g., name, date of birth), e-mail address, postal address and telephone number may be collected and used when you send an email to us, such as through the 'Contact us' on phone, or where you register and/or submit an Order Form in accordance with our Terms and Conditions. This applies to any information that you provide by filling in forms on the Site;
- when processing your order (if applicable), we will ask you for personal information at the time you register as a customer (which you are required to provide before you place your first order). We may also collect personal information for Conlons® competitions for which entries are accepted online or on the phone. We may also ask you for your personal information when you request information from us, submit any comments to us or if you report a problem with the Website;
- data regarding prescription and any other medical details or other information that you, your healthcare professional or medical practioner provide to us, in any mode of communication, such as email, telephone, fax or post;
- data relating to your navigation through the site may be collected by cookies or our web servers when you are browsing the Site. This will include any transactions you carry out on the site;
- After collection, personal data will be retained by Conlons® for as long as is reasonably necessary (or as defined under applicable healthcare laws and regulations) to provide goods and services, including after sales service and marketing, to you.
We request this information from you on our order forms. In case of purchase (through any medium) we may require you to provide contact information - name/email address/postal address/telephone number - and financial information - credit/debit card number/expiry date. We use this contact information in order to provide or ship the required products and/or services, to send you details of that confirmation and if necessary to inform you of updates or changes to your order. We do not pass details of your personal information to third parties except as described in Sharing Information below.
Credit and debit card information is collected securely (using SSL certificates) by PayPal. Conlons® does not store your card numbers on the site although will include any necessary information to process and manage the order, such as order details.
4. Log files
We use IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server and to analyse trends/administer the site/track user's movement for our internal site traffic statistics.
5. Cookies and data traffic
- Session cookies - These contain a random ID number that is automatically allocated to your computer by the web server for the entire duration of your visit. This ensure that the Site runs faster and more smoothly. It is deactivated 30 minutes after a period of inactivity on the Site and will be automatically removed once your browser is closed.
- Script generated cookies - These are automatically allocated to your computer when you register to access any restricted areas of the Site and on each subsequent visit. It only contains an identifier which will enable the Site to identify you as a registered user so that you do not have to identify yourself/log-in again while you move from one server to another during your visit. This cookie will remain on your computer after your visit until you remove it. It will be placed again at your next visit.
- Third-Party cookies - At the time of publishing this document, we do not use any third-party advertising companies or affiliates. However, we reserve the right to use advertising companies or affiliates to display advertisements on our website if we deem fit in the future. This may involve them recognising a cookie file on your browser in the course of delivering advertisements to the Site. We cannot see the information collected or held in third party cookies. Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited and its suppliers will not provide personal data about you to these to any other third party.
6. Removing or disabling cookies
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but you can change your browser to reject them.
If you do not want Conlons® to place cookies on your computer at all, you can set your browser to disable or reject cookies. This will mean that no websites, including Conlons®, will be able to place cookies on your computer. This can be done by adjusting the preferences within your browser. It is possible, however, that you will not be able to benefit from full use of all parts or aspects of the Site.
If you would like to remove cookies that have been previously-stored, you can manually delete the cookies at any time. Please note, however, that this will not prevent websites from placing further cookies on your computer.
7. Our use of your personal information
This section applies to all information that we hold about you including, but not limited to, order placement, competition entry, contacting us and Site browsing.
Your personal information will be used at the point of collecting data and for the purposes of processing your order, entering competitions, providing you with information on healthcare or special offers, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you (where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes) or as stated elsewhere in this Privacy Statement. If you do not want us to use your contact information to send details of our special offers, products or services to you please unsubscribe from the email that you are sent. Having opted in to receive email marketing material you will always be provided with an opportunity to opt out on each such communication.
You expressly consent to Conlons®:
- processing data relating to your credit/debit card and order details to enable the fulfilment of your order using a payment provider (currently the Site uses PayPal);
- processing your personal information so that Conlons® can inform you about new healthcare related products and services available from Conlons®;
- processing your personal information to enhance the services and goods Conlons® makes available to its customers;
- processing your personal data to conduct research about your health and online shopping habits;
- using cookies and traffic data as per Clause 5 above.
- transferring personal data to our administrative offices within the UK. These are managed by Conlons® although contractors and 3rd party support may be used.
- Data collected on Sending an email
- You may want to send an email to us through the Site, such as via the 'Contact' pages. In doing so, you will provide us with basic personal information, such as your name, address, email address, telephone numbers and other information, such as about a query you might have or medical information. We will not use the information you provide when sending us emails for purposes other than responding to your message, handling your query or your Order, analysing your feedback and/or suggestions and for making improvements to our Site.
- Data collected through Registering and/or Submission of an Order on the Site
- You may register or submit an order through the Site. All information generated from this is used by Conlons® to process orders, entering competitions, providing you with information on products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you.
- For prescription orders, further to a copy of your prescription from a registered ophthalmic optician or medical practitioner, or details thereof (as applicable), you are required to provide the personal information set out in the online order.
- Data collected by Web Servers and Cookies
- If you are just browsing our Website we will not collect any personal information which will identify you. However, as mentioned in Clause 5, we will collect information using cookies and/or traffic data which uses IP addresses or other numeric identifiers which analyse navigation and use of the Site.
- The Site web servers collect the IP address of users who visit the Site, their Site navigation information (page requested, time of request, browser type and server response). The user's user name is also held if the user has registered to any restricted areas of the site.
- Such data may be regularly aggregated and de-identified so that the number of visits to the Site and its pages, and related details (e.g., time spent on the Site), can be measured and analysed. This will enable Conlons® to improve our product and service offerings and marketing methods and to improve content and functionality on the Site. Please note that this information will not be used to create any individual visitors' profiles. Conlons® will not track the individual navigation of visitors unless, in very limited cases where a visitor faces navigation problems that might require a technical intervention.
- In the event that Conlons® advertise, Conlons® wish to measure the success of any campaigns. This would be done by using pixels, or transparent GIF files, to establish which of our on-line links successfully bring people to our website. The GIF files would be provided by third parties who provide us with on-line analysis. As identified in Clause 5, this system places a cookie on your browser when you enter our website via a the link (e.g., an advert), which allows us to see which links bring us the most visitors to our Website and what pages are accessed. Any information collected would be anonymous and would not contain personal details (e.g., your name or contact details) and would not make you identifiable personally.
- Data will be held within Conlons®, which may include being kept on the Site's secured servers and computer systems, which are protected from outside intrusions.
We store your information for as long as we need to do so in order to fulfil our legal obligations and/or in order to keep you informed of our products. We use your information to create generic information, which we then use for market and commercial analysis. This generic information will not need to identify you personally.
If we have trouble processing a request, your contact information will be used to get in touch with you. We would use your telephone number only if we needed to contact you urgently or if you had made a mistake entering your details. The financial information is used for billing purposes and to complete your orders.
We do not pass details of your personal information to third parties except as described in the section below.
8. Transfer of data collected & disclosure to third parties
Data collected on sending an email may be provided as necessary to handle your Order, to our offices or laboratories (including affiliates, representatives or agents) as well as vendors whose assistance is required to address your query and/or order (e.g., Delivery Companies).
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 736 of the UK Companies Act 1985. When paying by credit or by debit card we pass your card details to our bank for authorisation of the transaction and for payment.
We will not transfer data to anyone outside of Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited, without your prior consent, except to perform the data processing requirements described in this Policy for the following reasons:
- 3rd party service providers, such as sub-contractors, laboratories, agents, service provider or authorised proxy for the purpose of fulfilling your order. For example, to suppliers in charge of hosting or maintaining the site, delivery companies or to our payment provider(s) (at the time of publishing, the Site uses PayPal);
- at your request, on your order or subject to your prior agreement, to recipients specified by you
- other third party businesses selected by us for the purposes of direct marketing, if you confirm to receive such information;
- to authorised third parties in compliance with our statutory or regulatory obligations. For example, to health authorities including NHS, GOC or national equivalent bodies
- in the event that Conlons® buys or sells any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective buyer or seller. If there is a change of control or acquisition of assets or business, the data collected through the site will be transferred to the acquiring entity;
- any agents or subcontractors that process data on our behalf;
- where required to exchange information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- where we are otherwise legally required to do so (for example to the Inland Revenue, Benefits Agency, any law enforcement agency with statutory authority or any court of competent jurisdiction.
The transmission of information through the internet is not completely secure. We will do our best to protect your personal data, but we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the website through the internet; any such transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
The information contained within emails from Conlons is confidential and intended only for the individual or entity to who the email(s) is/are addressed. If you have received any message (written or verbal) in error or there are any problems please notify the sender/source immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of emails is strictly forbidden. Conlons & Sons (Opticians) Limited will not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from a breach of confidentiality, alteration of the contents of emails by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.
9. Subject access rights
By law you have the following rights:
- a subject access right which enables you to be told whether we hold any personal data about you and to obtain a copy of that information;
- the right to get personal data relating to you rectified, completed, updated, blocked or erased when incomplete, unclear, obsolete or processed unlawfully;
- the right to object to the processing of data relating to you on legitimate grounds and a right to object free of charge to the use of data for solicitation purposes.
You are entitled by law to obtain a copy of any of your personal information that we hold. If you wish to exercise your data subject access rights, please contact us in writing at the address set out on the Site with sufficient information to verify your identity and the personal information you require. We reserve the right to charge £10 for complying with a subject access rights and shall provide such information within 45 days of your request.
10. Updating or removing personal information
You can amend or remove your personal details either by contacting your local branch here - Contact us.
Except if provided to others in the circumstances set out in this Policy, the data supplied by you will be kept on the Site's secured servers and background computer systems, protected from outside intrusions.
Conlons has a number of security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of your information that we hold. Our robust security system that includes firewalls; logical network segmentation to allow restricted access to stored profile information and logical and physical security restrictions to our databases and systems. We use Secure Socket Layers (SSL) encryption to protect sensitive information online. At no time are your debit/credit card details transmitted unencrypted over the Internet.
We also continually strive to protect user-information off-line. All your information is restricted in our offices and only employees or sub-contractors who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information.
12. Links & disclaimer
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information. At outlined in Section 11, we use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorised access and use. However, as effective as these may be, no physical or electronic security system is entirely secure. We therefore cannot guarantee the absolute security of our database, and nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted. Any transmission is at your own risk. In the event that there is an interception of your personal information or unauthorised access or use of our database, we will not be liable or responsible for any resulting misuse of your personal information.
The Site may contain links to the websites of our business partners, advertisers, affiliates or other third parties. We have no control over the contents of third party sites or resources which are linked to the Website and we accept no responsibility or liability for them or their Privacy practices or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of such websites or resources. This Privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this site.
We reserve the right to update this Privacy statement from time to time in our sole discretion. Any material changes in the way we use personal information will be described in future versions of this Privacy statement. Such changes to the Policy will appear on this page, which you should check from time to time. By continuing to use the Site and Conlons® you are deemed to accept changes to this Policy.
14. Contacting us
15. Publication scheme
Welcome to the Publication Scheme for Conlons Opticians as required by the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
This Publication scheme is a guide to the information routinely made available to the public by Conlons & Sons (Opticians) Limited. It will be reviewed at regular intervals and we will monitor its effectiveness.
How much does it cost?
The publications are free unless otherwise indicated. Where information is provided at cost, the charges will be calculated as set out in Clause 9.
How is the information made available?
The information within each Class is available in hard copy from:
Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited
22 Mount Pleasant
Telephone: 0151 708 5072
Your rights to information
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 is designed to promote openness and accountability amongst all organisations that receive public money.
- Environmental information regulations enable similar access to environmental information as under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you are also entitled to access your clinical records or any other personal information held about you and you can contact any practice where your records are held to do this.
If you have any comments about the operation of the Publication Scheme, or how we have dealt with your request for information from the scheme, please write to:
Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited
22 Mount Pleasant
Telephone: 0151 708 5072
Classes of information
Who we are:
- Company background. To find out more about our company please read about us.
- For a list of practices including contact phone numbers, see contact details.
- Details of the Opticians or Hearing Care professionals employed in one of our stores can be obtained by contacting that store directly.
Financial and funding information
Full details of the company accounts can be sourced from Companies House.
Our policies and procedures
- Data protection
- Health and safety
Copies of our policies are available on request from:
Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited,
22 Mount Pleasant,
Telephone: 0151 708 5072
This publication scheme
In this class we will publish any changes we make to this publication scheme, the criteria on which our information management policies are made and a referral point for all enquiries regarding information management generally in practice. We will also publish any proposed changes or additions to publications already available.
Cost of information
For the most part, we will only charge for hard copies, or copies onto media. Charges are as follows and will be reviewed regularly.
- Single hard copies - free of charge
- Multiple hard copies, or archived copies will attract a charge for photocopying, retrieval and postage. We will inform you of the cost of these charges that will have to be paid in advance.
- A useful resource website can be looked up under "Information Commissioner".
- A useful resource website can be looked up under "Ministry of Justice".
- A useful publication website can be looked up under "Freedom of Information Act 2000".
Material available through this publication scheme is copyright unless otherwise indicated. Unless expressly indicated to the contrary, it may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is done so accurately in a manner that will not mislead. Where items are re-published or copied to others, you must identify the source and acknowledge copyright status. This permit does not extend to third party material, accessed through the scheme. For HMSO Guidance notes see www.legislation.gov.uk.
This document was last updated on 20th October, 2011.
This site is operated by Conlons® & Sons (Opticians) Limited whose registered office is at 22 Mount Pleasant Liverpool L3 5RY. Our company number is 00531247, VAT Registration Number 319955617, Registered TM: 2489930